Thursday, November 17, 2011

Letter To The Leaves: Where's I?

Hello My Fellow Contributors,

I was talking to a friend a few days ago about Law school admission and more specifically about the personal statement required for all applications. I am myself, currently in the process of applying and have already drafted a personal statement. My friend, Mischief, was having a hard time coming up with ideas for what he was going to put into his. I then asked him one question.

Do you ever write anything with the word 'I'?

And I can still remember the look on his face when he paused for a second and then replied.

No

It was in that moment I realized that in so many of our classrooms today, especially in higher education, we are detached from what we are writing. We have removed the I and replaced it with a scholarly voice. And it is this voice that has caused many people to give up writing. They simply feel that they are frauds; pretending to be someone they are not.

I realize that the word I doesn't have a place in most academic writing, but this is precisely why we need to have more classes that require students to write poetry. To explore themselves through words. I feel at times that writers are so hesitant to put themselves into their works, but it should be the opposite. Writers should relish the opportunity to put themselves into words. I think this is something that great authors do.

For what is writing but an extension of the mind.

When we are writing poetry, fiction, or non-fiction with I, we are creating a window to the soul.

Now, I am not trying to pitch you writing as therapy, but I am saying that in order for a person to truly know how they feel about morality, ethics, virtues, pop culture and most other things in this world, he or she must work through these problems either by talking to themselves or writing them down.

I is so powerful because I makes what we are writing relevant to we the writers. Although I do caution that not all of life's experiences are captivating, a good writer knows which moments to put on paper and how to do so in such a way that captures their sweet essence. A great writer can turn the mundane details of a dull afternoon, into a powerfully compelling couplet.

So if you haven't written anything with the word I in it, I urge you to do so.

Or, on the other hand, if you disagree with me let me hear your thoughts.

"For although the man may teach, He is only as wise as his brightest pupil."

Undoubtedly yours,
Bermuda

1 comment:

  1. Have you read Peter Elbow? He writes about the power of self-expression through writing. You do him proud with this blog.

    ReplyDelete