Saturday, September 29, 2012

Newcomers' Anxiety

Hey Y'all-

I am officially back after what seemed like the longest summer of my life. I travelled, I taught, I read, I wrote, I photographed, and I eventually--luckily in the latter half of August and not for the entire season--fell into a stupor that was clouded by comic books, beer, and excessive napping. It was truly glorious and much needed. I fondly look back on those carefree days because now I am in my first quarter of graduate school. Holy. Shit.

Honestly, it isn't that crazy. What is crazy is my anxiety. In general I am a bit obsessive, over-analytical, and maniacal. Add a new environment and an increased level of expectation and you really get to see my neurosis in full bloom. As you can tell, I don't shy away from the fact that I can be a bit crazy. I also happen to see these seemingly negative traits as potentially positive. If I can manage them appropriately, I can bring out some of my strongest arguments and push myself to heights I would never come close to reaching whilst sipping a Bud Light (I'm a poor  college student) and flipping through a Wonder Woman comic. There is something about teetering on the fine line between struggle and destruction that truly brings out the best in me. I suppose that is why I disregard all the advice that says I should only take two classes. Tell me it is impossible and I will pursue it with full fervor. I am either an intellectual masochist or I've figured out the best way to tap into my potential.

If I am not in a mental hospital in 9 weeks, we will have the answer.

Since I'm going to be batty for the next 9 weeks, I'd love it if our readers/writers would consider submitting some awesome poetry to help me find my way through the dark abyss. Yes, writers, you and you alone are charged with inspiring me. Make me laugh; make me cry, save me with the written word!

Until next time.

-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment