Sunday, November 11, 2012

The creative process


Blogging seems to be my only outlet for any sort of creative writing lately.  Since I have been spending the majority of my time studying for my upcoming finals and working on two research papers, I have absolutely no time for anything else. 
Although, I cannot spend time writing creatively, I have been writing a lot due to all my schoolwork and have found that the creative process I used has transferred from fictional writing to discovering a solid thesis for my rhetoric paper.  It is difficult when given a research paper to write, having to come up with a thesis that you find interesting enough to spend the great amount of time researching.  I always thought that when it came to writing a research paper, there was very little room for creative energy.  However, there is a certain creativity that does result from finding a thesis and being able to argue it well. 
The Rhetoric class that I am currently taking has shown me that creativity lies heavily in arguing, whether through orality or literacy.  Even though fictional writing, poetry, etc. requires an artistic approach to the discourse, writing a thesis has its moments of creativity.  My research paper will focus on the rhetorical analysis of war speeches and their effects on the audience.  I came up with this thesis because I have always found an interest in war speeches and how they are used to rouse the audience to either persuade the troops or the citizens. 
The process of creativity for writing my paper relies on the fact that I can argue for the validity of these speeches and their ability to succeed in gaining the support of the audience.  Of course, I would prefer to spend my time writing short stories or poetry, but I surprisingly am excited to begin my paper, to attempt to persuade my audience with the importance of war speeches. 
Creativity in writing is needed for research papers; without it, you are left with a dry, poorly argued paper.  Trying to be creative while writing my paper is not easy; I find that I want to focus more on the flow and pattern of my words rather than the actual argument itself.  But as I continue to research for my paper and discover new facets of rhetoric through war speeches, I realize that creativity is present in my argument.
Creativity does exist outside the fictional world of writing.  Since school has left me without any time to write stories or poems, I am taking advantage of my creative energy in researching and writing my paper…and of course, these blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment