Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Value of a College Degree

A college degree has become largely meaningless. The fact that the only real counter to this claim is that a college degree provides a bare minimum for hiring committees only serves to prove the point.

I took over teaching duties for a basic composition course last night; it is halfway through the semester, and the original instructor bailed out for personal reasons. On the first night as their new instructor, I asked the students to pick one aspect of the course thus far that they have not enjoyed or found useful and to make a case for my removing or altering that aspect for the remainder of the semester. Some talked about how the old prof didn't ever write notes on the board; some argued that they should not have to edit each of their papers to perfection through endless revisions (I admit that can get to a point of impracticality); some mentioned that they didn't like many changes to the schedule. All of these are pretty reasonable. But then… one brave little lady put forth this gem: "when Professor X graded our homework, she wouldn't give us credit if we got everything wrong." I blinked, thinking only, "okay?" She continued on: "I think we should get credit for trying."

And there it is, the new mantra of the college student: An A for effort. I don't know if it's something wrong with me (it often is), but I am appalled (yes, appalled) by the manner in which students believe this nonsense without question. What does a college degree mean if it is earned through effort and not proof that you have learned the requisite material? It only means that you can try. Somehow I doubt that hiring managers are looking for good try-ers. No, I think most people in the corporate world still like to believe that when they hire someone with a college degree that college degree guarantees the knowledge of certain skills and concepts. But the average college student today is long past that notion and has arrived apathetically at the "I'm only here to get credits to get a degree, so I can get a job" port.

That attitude (and mind you, I teach community college, so my perspective may be a bit specialized to my particular students, but only a bit) sets college up to be nothing more than a charade. And, I know I've said this before, but that really blows for the people who wanted to teach college so they could teach people who actually want to learn. But the new thing I'll say is this: this charade also blows for everyone else. The more and more that our society collectively undermines the real value of a college education and sees it only as a means to job prospects (the adjective "better" is no longer required here), the more education will diminish and eventually disappear as it becomes fully accepted as commodity.

A college education has become something people believe they can buy and not earn. The concept of earning something in addition to paying for the ability to do so is largely foreign to many students I encounter. I wonder what it is that has given young people this notion. Do you think it's just another unfortunate aspect of the "ME" generation mindset? Or is it something else? I am inclined to wonder if this mindset is a result of the growing necessity of the college degree. Maybe students feel that if they are pushed too hard in college that their wellbeing is being jeopardized. Is that reasonable? I would think only in legitimate cases of unfairness on the part of the instructor. Of course, that is not normally the case.

What are your experiences in the college classroom, either as an instructor or a student? Have you experienced these issues with your students, or have you, as a student, felt resentment toward an instructor for policies or actions you felt were unfair. Please share in the comments below.

Until next time,

Leena

3 comments:

  1. So I have taught now (gasp) for seventeen years at public four-year institutions. I have taught English at engineering schools, so there is always a percentage of my student population who regards my field as irrelevant, or worse, detrimental to getting their career on. I have talked to a student who chose pharmacy as a major because by some formula he devised, that was the major that yielded the best pay off. He had it figured out to the dollar how much going to each class period was worth over the course of his life, and used that to justify skipping now and again. So I've seen students in school for what I thought were less than noble reasons. But I don't think it's gotten worse over the years. I think students will always try to get something for nothing (a grade, for instance), just as other kinds of people will. And for every materialistic, wrong-headed student, I can name several who seemed actually to get something out of classes, something they will take with them after they leave. I'm not worried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note to self: Trying to comment from a phone isn't recommended.
      I believe college is what you as a student make of it. I've never resented a teacher because of a grade I've received. I own my mistakes as well as my successes. I may never become a great writer. I never applied myself in English when I was younger and now lack finesse, this however, is my own damn fault. Great authors are able to make words dance and come alive. I appreciate those who have this ability. Reading an amazing book to me is like listening to beautiful symphony. I find it almost unfathomable that a student wanted credit for simply trying. If you are not getting anything correct on your assignment clearly you are missing something important, ask for help, try learn from your mistakes, and improve. If students maintain this,"A for effort" attitude throughout their lives, degree or not, they're going to struggle. The real world simply does not work that way. If I had this sort of cavalier attitude at work and seriously screwed up on a project, my boss wouldn't pat me on the back and say, "Well at least you tried." Quite the opposite in fact, I would be kicked out on my rather large rear end. I work a full time job and go to school at night, college for me is the best part of my day. I want to learn and absorb what my teachers, who should know more than me on any given subject, have to say. While it must be frustrating to teach students who clearly have no desire to learn, I urge all teachers to hang in there for the sake of the few of us who do.
      --Hayley

      Delete