Sunday, April 1, 2012

Letter To the Leaves: The Music of Memories

My Fellow Contributors,

I want to first start by saying that the novel is progressing, but I find it hard to complete frames, as the more involved I become in this evolving narrative, the more it shows me it doesn't want to be confined to just a mere two pages.


What I want to explore in this blog and why I have chosen to suspend my "Novel Idea" series for a week, is I want to know what music does for your writing, reading.

I would argue that music is the string we use to weave memories together. A color-coded string that makes it easier for the brain to systematical archive memories for easy retrieval.

I remember listening to Coldplay's X&Y while writing a few lines of teenage angst poetry in the fall of my sophomore year in high school. If only I could have fixed you.

I remember listening to Keane's Hopes and Fears while reading "The Glass Menagerie" for my 11th grade AP English class. And oh how the words of the song seemed to echo the silent dance shared between Jim and Laura.

I remember listening to the soundtrack of The Pianist while reading numerous selections from my Survey of American Literature. The soothing classical piano of Fryderyk Chopin made the words float of my tongue and into my ears with ease.

I remember reading the first submission received by our humble magazine while listening to "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay" and thinking, can anything be more sublime.

But enough with my remembrances, my fellow contributors, what songs, albums or bands have helped shaped the way you remember the writing and readings you do?

I look forward to walking down memory lane with you. Hand in hand, heart to heart.

As Always

Undoubtedly Yours,
Bermuda

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bermuda,

    Different bands call to mind different eras in my life. Every time I listen to The Decemberists I get an image of the Chinese countryside because I listened to their music so much while traveling in China. From there I think of Kerouac novels because I always read him while I'm traveling (for obvious reasons) It's quite a beautiful link to the past (excuse the Zelda reference).

    I would argue, however, that that music isn't THE thread to our memories, but rather, a thread. I think that humans base so many of their actions of sensory stimulation. Colors, textures, and smells can bring us back to a totally different time and can evoke so many emotions.

    Try lighting a specific specific scent before you read your next novel, I promise that scent will be forever linked with the words on the page.

    (had to delete my last comment due to grammar errors)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree with you that scent is also a powerful thread to help us remember things. I am going to have to buy some candles and read a book now, haha.

    Thanks,
    Bermuda

    ReplyDelete