Friday, April 27, 2012

Brain Control: What Makes Literature so Lovely?


        Today, I’ll be dealing with a field that I’m not terribly familiar with. So, before I go and offend a neurologist or a psychologist, let me apologize in advance for any improper science. Also, my subject happens to wonderfully tie-in with Leena’s previous post, and that couldn’t make me happier – I wish I could say we planned it.
            In my trek across the inter-webs, I recently arrived at an amazing YouTube channel. TedTalks explains complex scientific concepts and theories to the average, 32-second-attention-span layman – the video’s are longer than 32 seconds, and they are well worth learning from (check it out here). In one thought-provoking video, Denis Dutton reads a paper, presenting his “Darwinian theory of beauty.” Basically, the video answers the question: What in our minds makes us think that something is beautiful?



Alongside illustrator Andrew Park’s charming visuals, Dutton’s interesting theory on beauty – the idea that all the things that we consider beautiful can be traced back to something that is evolutionarily beneficial to us – is what inspired my scrambling across yet more of the web in search of additional information on the theory of beauty as a product of our psychology. My editor's mind was determined to find an answer to this question: what is it about a skillfully written piece of literature that moves us?
            Of course, Dutton already answers this question for me quite straightforwardly; simply put, the ‘beauty’ of a Jane Austen novel – to use his example – lies in the reader’s subconscious appreciation of the skills that it took to carefully craft the work. Evolutionarily speaking, it seems that close attention to detail is a trait favored by natural selection (as he points out with the handmade blades), and our subconscious minds – driven by a primal force to survive – find skilled human performance attractive because they ensure a better chance of survival for the individual with the trait. Subconsciously, we either wish to possess the same skill as Jane Austen, or we wish to have her as a part of our ‘tribe’ (canon?) so that we can benefit from her trait. In this case, ‘beauty’ is seen in the things and skills that will raise our chances of survival and reproduction.
            Although, I find it hard to equate the beauty of a novel to the beauty of an idyllic landscape with rolling hills, a source of water, and low-branching trees (which we would consider beautiful because of our human instinct to dwell there). I find that I experience a much different emotion when I read Thoreau’s Walden than when I look at a country view; there is something ‘beautifully’ human about a novel. Why is it that when I read about bean-rows and simple living, I feel a sense of existential satisfaction?
            One answer might be that our brain is rewarding us for following the right path. Research shows that certain emotions act as a feedback system (not necessarily a causation system), affecting behavior based on the conscious observation of hindsight after unconscious emotional responses. “Running Head: How Emotion ShapesBehavior” points out this phenomenon, saying, “why did the human self-regulatory capacity evolve so as to be able to exert direct control over actions and thoughts, but not emotions? The answer, we think is that you cannot control your emotions because the purpose of emotions is to control you.”
            The paper points out that, just as fear causes humans to flee, and anger causes humans to fight, guilt causes man to look back at his actions and change his behavior based on his emotional response. In this case, due to an emotion, man can sometimes actively change his behavior towards what the brain considers to be better behavior. So then, in a way the brain is our master, and emotions are its commands; as our teacher, the brain either corrects inappropriate behavior or applauds beneficial behavior.
            With this in mind, I’d like to pose one last question: could beauty in literature be a command from our master, the brain, telling us that we are on the correct path so that we may continue on the same course? I look forward to your responses.


No comments:

Post a Comment