Sunday, May 27, 2012

Is Feminism still the f word?



This blog is a self-righteous and self-indulgent rant and for the record, I am not menstruating. That being said, Webster’s dictionary defines feminism as:

                1: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

Now that seems to be a pretty basic concept that most would agree is reasonable. How is it then that the word feminism makes men shudder and dainty women seeking acceptance shy away? I’ve heard men say feminists hate men. Feminists are shrill bitches. But is it that feminists are hatemongers or is it, as I am more inclined to believe, that the few women who boldly proclaim that they are feminists are extremists that had to reach a point where they don’t give a shit about how the ignorant public perceives this mislabeling? I’d even venture to bet that most of the general public is comprised of closet feminists who are merely afraid of the associations tied to the word. By general public I mean both men and women. Even in the year 2012 it is unpopular for a woman to proclaim that she is a feminist. Even highly intelligent women that I know have shied away from donning the title out of fear of appearing radical. But if you strip away all of the negative associations that have been tied to the word, at its most basic the word merely represents equality. So men, relax. Just because I love my vagina doesn’t mean I hate your penis. I think your penis is wonderful, beautiful, and powerful. You should think so too. I don’t want to enslave you or ridicule you, so you can stop saying I am a feminist as if it is an insult or a derogatory term. All that demonstrates is how ignorant you are and your misuse of the word reveals you to be uneducated or afraid.
 And women—please stop saying shit like, “I am not like other women. I am more like one of the guys. I don’t really get along with girls.” Trust me, there are plenty of highly intelligent women who refuse to accept gender stereotypes that kick major ass. Mary Wollstonecraft, Charlotte Bronte, Joan of Arc…hell, have you met the other women who work for this magazine? Far from typical, blazingly intelligent, and even feminine. When you discredit your gender you discredit yourself and that is just stupid. You aren’t an exception. Get over yourself and stop being misogynistic while naively thinking you are some sort of trailblazer.
 If you want to wear makeup and paint your nails—do it! If you don’t want to, don’t. But whatever you chose to do, it should be because you are an individual not because of your genitalia or a societal expectation. So for the record—I am a feminist. I am an advocate for gay rights. Believe it or not, I don’t have to be homosexual to label myself as such. So please, let us all be reasonable and thoughtful and attempt to accept people as individuals. Don’t assume that I hate you because you have a penis and I won’t assume that you hate me because I have a vagina. I mean, I most likely hate you but it is for a multitude of reasons that aren’t associated with our chromosomal differences.  

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with what you've written . . . that being said, next time please try to stop writing the instant you realize you don't have a penis. hahahahaha inside jokes rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is that "THE MAN" has turned the word feminism into something dirty and to be feared. We must remember that there had to be rebellious, dangerous and provocative women in order to change the long standing gender norms prior to the 1960s.

    The problem I see with feminism, however, is that the more and more we create stronger woman (more masculine) the more and more we effeminize our men. Now the problem is not that feminism is doing this or that it is occurring at all. I am an effeminate male (although I do prefer the term momma's boy).

    The problem comes from the fact that our society does not accept effeminate males. We are seen as homosexual, weak, and undesirable in a capitalistic, Darwinian world.

    But I think that those times are changing. The big civil rights issue of our day is not women's rights, but gay and lesbian rights. This is our biggest issue.

    I don't believe in labeling someone with a sexual identity. And I would argue that many people on the West Coast have a similar conception of sexual identity. I think the need to identify with a particular sexual identity comes from society and is a way for others to label and relegate certain groups to the fringes.

    For Nature knows no names.

    Feminist, Homosexual, or Masculinist.

    What the Feminists have taught us is that being strong, caring, nurturing, or having the ability to lead a group of people are not traits inherit in any sex. They are learned behaviors.

    Feminists continue to remind us that we are products of our environment and are all equal under the eye of our own individual Higher Power (God, Buddha, Physics, Nature, what have you).

    As Always

    Undoubtedly Yours,
    Bermuda the Man

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outspoken women continue to deal with stereotypes. While a lot of the longstanding gender norms prior to the 1960’s have been addressed, women still struggle with societal norms and expectations. Now I am not interested in turning this into a woman’s pity party. I’d say the vast majority of men that I interact with respect women and see them as equals or at the very least give them the opportunity to display that they are deserving of equal respect. At times I actually enjoy coming across someone who is sexist because it affords me the opportunity to show them the error of their ways and I must admit I like a good clean fight.
    “Stronger women” aren’t created. We are born. If I listened to society, hell if I listened to my parents I would be docile, passive, and soft spoken. As I mentioned before, there are women that have come before that were clearly not a product of society. For example, Mary Wollstonecraft was hardly a product of eighteenth century London society. As a self-proclaimed effeminate male, are you a product of your society? Or is that a part of your identity that you hold on to in spite of what others would prefer or expect?
    See—what I am getting at is the struggle that feminist’s face and the struggle that effeminate males face is exactly the same. In order to be a strong woman I don’t need a man to be even stronger. In fact what they do or don’t do is irrelevant because I am merely doing what I do, me. The two aren’t connected. And I am not always strong. Sometimes I am vulnerable and sensitive. People don’t exist in extremes. As a matter of fact I love effeminate men. I celebrate their individuality. David Bowie is quite possibly one of the sexiest most intriguing men alive. Why? Bowie is fearless, individual, artistic, and doesn’t give a shit about societal expectations. I can respect Johnny Weir and Sylvester Stallone for completely different reasons. The point is I see value in both extremes. I don’t have to pit one against the other.
    Now I am speaking as an individual, but I am willing to bet that the vast majority of feminists also support gay rights. And if you read the end of my blog you will see that I actually gave a shout out to the struggle that gays and lesbians are facing and wholeheartedly support that struggle. My point was that being a heterosexual doesn’t mean that I have to draw lines in the sand and say you on this side, me on the other. Just as men, whether hyper masculine or effeminate, don’t have to have the same reaction towards feminists.
    Deep down the desire is the same, a desire that I would say exists within all people. To be understood, accepted, or shit-simply allowed to be. So keep being a rebel and I will too.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa6bI_95G9I&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLF8AD94E6E57276A9

    ReplyDelete