Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Letter to the Leaves: Get Your Name Out There

My Fellow Contributors,


I have my first job interview as a recent grad later this week. It is for a company who needs someone to write product reviews, product and service summaries and just a few lines here and there. This whole process has taught me one important part of the job world, having a presence on the web.

When I was going back and forth with them they asked me to send them a copy of some of my work. I was fortunate enough though because I maintain a blog for just such a purpose. You see in one of my classes at Cal Poly my professor had us create a blog for the class. Using the blog we posted several assignments and were able to get feedback from both the professor and other students.

After the class was over, I continued to post on the site. As of today I have twenty-four posts of both non-fiction, poetry, short stories, flash fiction and academic essays. It has become for me an electronic portfolio to show potential clients.

Having a web presence is very important especially as a writer. Having a blog is more about creating a medium through which you can store finished pieces. However there is one down side to this. Many publications will not accepted submissions that are posted on a personal website. So you either have to take the piece off of your personal blog or not submit the piece.

In my opinion it is definitely worth having a collection of pieces that you strictly have on your blog. Pieces that represent you as a creative writer and demonstrate both your mastery of the language and your desire to write.


Also remember to put your Web Presence as part of your resume if the particular job you are applying for requires some writing component. It's good to show people that your not just wasting your time stumbling on random pages or tweeting your life away one character at a time. 

So where is your web presence?

In the comments please post a link to your blog.

The stronger of a community we create together, the brighter we will all shine.


As Always

Undoubtedly Yours,

Bermuda the Man

No comments:

Post a Comment