Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Letter to the Leaves: Stop, Collaborate and Listen

My Fellow Contributors,

I'm in the process of preparing a series of video blogs where I am going to demonstrate some of the poetic vocal skills I learned under the guidance of Dr. Liam Corley in two of his American poetry classes. I hope to have some of the videos up on both this blog as well as on my personal blog at matthewrazo.wordpress.com.

But for now I want to go off of Alli's last blog where she discussed the importance of writing every chance you get and write about the importance of not just sharing your work vocally with others but surrounding yourself with individuals who are also working on projects.

When I am not working for the magazine I am moonlighting as a security guard for a noteworthy company you may have heard of, Target. Now besides catching shoplifters, helping old ladies to their cars and riding a segway (with a helmet and yellow safety vest...winning!) I also have to walk with the Guest Service Team Leader at the end of the night to close down the registers and prep them for the next morning.

One of the GSTL's that I work with is going to be a film student at USC next year where he wants to pursue a career in entertainment as a director.  And as everyone knows directors not only direct films, but they also have plenty of screen plays they have written or are working on in hopes of getting them green lighted.

My buddy, Richard, has handed me numerous screen plays and I have handed him countless short stories. And in the hour or so we have at the end of the night we are able to bounce ideas off of each; telling him that worked or that didn't, him telling me that my ending was obscure but that there were a few lines that really blew him away.

The main thing I want to express to your through this personal story is the importance of getting quality feedback. Yeah its great to get your stuff read, but if it is not read by someone who is willing to give you honest feedback and give you the old "this is great...wow...I really liked it" then really what are you accomplishing? What value is added?

You need to get someone who is isn't afraid to get some dirt under their fingernails. Someone who is willing and able to provide you will meaningful constructive criticism.

And it doesn't matter what medium they produce in. Music, movies or short stories. All of these mediums must tell a story, connect with and capture the attention of their audience. Anyone who is capable of producing these types of individual expressions is certainly qualified to give you some advice.

So with that I want to say go out and have your voice heard and share. I look forward to presenting you with my Vblog next week about poetic vocal techniques,

and as always

Undoubtedly Yours,

Bermuda the Man

No comments:

Post a Comment