Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Limits of My Language Mean the Limits of My World


Hello readers!

I am back from China and this week’s blog topic was inspired while I was in the lovely city of Shangyu, China. One night I was walking around the city with a few mates and for some unknown reason something my high school English teacher had once said sprung to mind. I had asked him why he felt the need to teach. I can’t remember his words exactly, but his response articulated a desire to be the key that could unlock a student’s imagination. At the time I thought I understood the gravity of his seemingly simple statement, but his direct words suddenly seemed more significant and complex. I was soon sent on an analytical tailspin. While thinking about my future desires, teaching, self-development, a student’s potential, I abruptly took pause. Why had this teacher’s statement resurfaced in my memory out of nowhere? Truth be told, at the time the it was said, I thought his statement was pretty banal. It all seemed so mysterious.  This brings me to what I suppose you could call my point; the power of dormant language.

 There are so many statements we communicate and receive that we feel may be lost completely, misunderstood, or superficially understood and then easily dismissed. I’d argue that once our words are uttered they no longer belong to us. They are molded in another’s mind. They interact with memories, emotions, and a host of other unknown factors that have the ability to shape the understanding of a statement. With the lapse of time these factors change and sometimes, unforeseeably, these dormant expressions or ideas reemerge. A meaning transforms, becomes bigger than it once was, or takes a more complex shape. I don’t really have a message, other than describing how fucking awesome communication and ideas can be. I just thought I’d share some of my strange musings about the power of words. I suppose I could say that it is important to be selective with your words. Although, that wouldn’t feel very genuine, seeing as I sometimes say a lot of stupid and insignificant shit. I guess I will conclude with a quote. Thanks for your time and glad to be back.

“Language is a part of our organism and no less complicated than it.”

                -Ludwig Wittgenstein

No comments:

Post a Comment