Saturday, February 4, 2012

And Jack Said, "Let There Be Discourse," and it Was So. And it Was Good. (Walt 1:1-2)

A few quarters ago, I enrolled into a class called "Bible as Literature." I jumped at the chance to take this class - not only was it taught by Liam Corley, but I've said time and again that English majors need to know their bible. Going into this class, I was a bit apprehensive, despite my enthusiasm. I was raised in a Christian household, but never really felt that Christianity was something aside from a story. Sure, I sang the songs and memorized bible verses, but that was about it. That, though, is irrelevant; what is relevant is that the bible is an interesting document that everyone, I think, should read.

First of all, the bible is in everything. I mean seriously, tale as old as time - Chaucer and Dante to Whitman and Dickinson. It's in just about everything in the canon as we know it. The bible holds a wealth of stories from a variety of story tellers, and it certainly keeps the active reader on his/her toes; however, there was one thing that I was left with after I read it.

It's fucking insane.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I said something like "oh shit" or "oh my god" when I was reading the bible actively. There is some seriously questionable shit in that book. At some parts, it almost felt like it was written by Brett Easton Ellis. Furthermore, it's confusing as all hell, and it makes little to no sense at parts.

Now before you go get your torches and pitchforks, please realize that I am looking at the bible as a piece of literature. All I want to say is that it is a very complicated text, and the events throughout the bible add to its almost cryptic qualities. The bible, to me, is one of the most important literary documents in the history of written word. It's up there with the Iliad, and anyone who would disagree would have to argue his/her ass off in order for me to take them seriously.

But enough of that. I want to hear what you folks have to say about the bible. And, please, don't bring religion into this conversation. I want to actually have a conversation, and bringing religious baggage to the table doesn't do anything but stop a potential meaningful conversation.

Note: You can talk about the bible without bringing religion into it.

Anticipating your comments,

JF

No comments:

Post a Comment