Friday, February 3, 2012

Letter To The Leaves: The Process of Sharing or Better Than Sex

My Fellow Contributors,

I want to find out from you what motivates you to go to an open mic. And if you don't go, whats stopping you.

Personally I enjoy public speaking (ahhh!) because of the feeling I get once I'm off stage. Being up in front of others puts stresses on my body that get my heart racing. What's interesting is I have noticed that my body goes through a certain cycle every time I step out in front of people.

1. Heart starts beating quickly.
2. My mouth begins to move.
3. Heart beats quicker.

(It should be noted that the heart also beats this fast while having sex)

4. Mouth still moving.
5. Eyes make contact but fail to register faces.
6. Mouth ejaculates last utterance.
7. Heart slowing down.
8. Feet walk off stage.
9. Heart slows down.
10. I smile.

After each time I can't help but feel like a little part of me is missing, like I have died a thousand little deaths. Like a piece of my soul is still on the stage with the mic firmly grasped in its hand.

It's the calm after the storm, the spring of new life after the lightning strike of nerves, that I crave. We can only grow when we venture out of our comfort zones. It's not sharing my work with the audience, but the process of sharing my voice that I find most rewarding; the chance to get more comfortable with you.

What I love about our open mics is the sense of a room filled with goodwill and open hearts. Everyone who performs who grabs the mic and shares a few lines is a success. Because we know the courage it takes to step in front of the mic (even in front of family) and speak.

REMEMBER: Saying something small, feels better than saying nothing at all.

As always
Undoubtedly Yours,

Bermuda

4 comments:

  1. Cute. Insightful, really. Finally got a glimpse into the mind of Mr Bermuda. I must admit public speaking does give a person a certain kind of rush, but I would never compare it to sex... Skydiving, maybe. Sex, never. I understand where you are coming from though.

    As for your question, there are two parts to this answer. First, it is not that people don't want to go or to perform it is merely that there just isn't enough time in the day to complete the tasks that must be completed and then have time left over to do something fun. Second, I personally don't enjoy performing my work aloud because I feel my inner thoughts are just that, mine. Though I do enjoy listening to others speak their minds...

    And I feel the need to note that few things are better than sex, and public speaking sure isn't one of them. So either you are just having terrible sex or my worst fears have been confirmed... that the male orgasm really isn't as epic as the female orgasm. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. S,

    Here is where public speaking and sex have a correlation. Because sex (for me), is not about the orgasm or climaxing. Just like public speaking is not about the words coming out of your mouth.

    What makes sex great, and whats makes public speaking epic is the build up to the final utterance. Its the foreplay, the touching, the twitch of a tongue, the curling of toes, the rhythmic thumping of hearts as souls sync together.

    And for me public speaking is just as good if not better than sex for the simple reason that I can share myself with multiple partners.

    I can penetrate them all with simple words without the fear of having to pull out.

    Undoubtedly Yours,
    Bermuda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Love it. I see what you mean. And I completely agree that the rush from foreplay and the rush from public speaking are similar. The intense feel of power over the audience (be it a partner in bed or your crowd) is very intoxicating. However, basking in the glory of after-sex is just as nice to me where as there really isn't any basking after preforming on stage. Instead its time for a new player to ejaculate their words into a crowd and said crowd has already forgotten you. I like being remembered. ;)

    ReplyDelete