Thursday, December 8, 2011

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

Hello everyone, I come to you this evening as a man who seeks to speak plainly. Instead of my signature prolixity, I aim to offer a few personal truths spoken as honestly as I once did.

As you have probably noticed, a few of us editors have decided to share our personal academic histories, all with the intent of enforcing the point that, despite previous engagement - or lack there of - in education, there is always a moment where things can be turned around. And although this moment is better coming sooner rather than later, the main importance is that it comes at all.

When I was an elementary school lad, I obsessed over the quality of my work, I gave great thought to my reputation with my fellow classmates and instructors alike. This continued until about 7th grade, the grade where I - to put it nicely - lost sync with myself. I found all of my assignments dull and exasperating, and decided not to complete them. Believe it or not, the only interest I had in school was science (go figure). I participated in science fair competitions and won first place in district, county and state competitions, and one year even won first prize in the Discovery Channel National Science Fair (first prize was a large savings bond and an entire week vacation in San Francisco where I would get to meet the Mythbusters, ya, how awesome is that?!) Aside from that, I also competed in "Botball" robotics competitions and made it to 3 national competitions (why they were in Oklahoma is still beyond me). Now I know what you are thinking, "what does this guy mean he lost it? Compared to Jack, he is a model student!" Well, I suppose in some ways you would be right, but everything really hit the fan when I was in high school. Like Jack, I was in I.B. everything, and hated nearly every minute of it, mainly because I hated all the teachers (especially the English ones). I had become so accustom to leaving everything to the last minute and not caring if I even had a test the next day, they never really hurt your grade anyway, how could it in a class that had 2,000 points for a quarter? This trend continued: failing notices, progress reports, make up assignments, emails flying back and forth between my mom and the teachers, emotional mixtures of apathy and guilt, all the while somehow making B's and C's (I'm convinced Jack and I are born under the same sign or something, its the only excuse), it was terrible. Believe it or not, this lasted until SENIOR YEAR of high school! I was in a quandary about what to do with my life (my love of science having worn off somewhere between 9th and 10th). I forced myself to sit down and really meditate on what I enjoyed, and what my natural abilities were/are. I began to realize that, if I thought back to all the great memories of my childhood, adolescence, and on up, almost all of them came back to literature: the excitement of the elementary school library, my mom bringing home the new installment of the Lemony Snicket series for me to read, staying up nights to find out just how these characters, who, in ways, I felt closer to than any of my other friends, would escape the next trap or solve the next riddle. That realization in mind, and the thought that a future which would allow me to pursue what I loved was right in front of me if only I applied myself, compelled me to achieve good grades and to truly attain knowledge so that I could have a future. I know it sounds cheesy to say that from that moment on everything was different, I started caring about my academics, about my place in things, etc., but its the truth, and from then on I have always made it my purpose to excel in my pursuits, which, I can is something I have succeeded in.

So, again, if you take anything away from the overly sentimental stuff above, it is this: Do not be afraid to take action over your life. Act wisely and decisively, Think earnestly upon matters which concern you. Only then will you begin to find true fulfillment. As I said before, its best for this to be done sooner rather than later, so take my advice and the advice of the other editors who have so openly blogged about this. Learn from our mistakes (my god I've suddenly turned into my grandmother) and don't be afraid to do a little soul searching. The moment you stop being able to surprise yourself is the day you lose worth.

To Dr. Easley & Mrs. Bickford, two very special ladies - E. W. Strege

No comments:

Post a Comment